Google

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

GMail Drive

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium. GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your...

This is what a website on the internet say about GMail Drive but I prefer having my own definitions.

The software I downloaded was very simple and small and hardly took any time for installation. But I found something different while that was happening - it was making some changes to some files in 'windows' directory. Atleast this is what it was showing to me.

After the installation I saw a new drive in 'My Computer'. I double clicked it to find this ...


















After I gave my ID and password of my Gmail account, I was taken to a new window which appeared much similar to the ones we see when we normally open any folders on our system.

















I was easily able to drag and drop any file into it and the upload took place which was of course much dependent on my internet connection's speed.

The bandwidth is definitely going to play a very important role in the success of this idea. To start with it's a wonderful thing to use to save data online. All the files dropped here are directly sent to our Gmail account and saved there as an e-mail.

This particular software is not from Google themselves but from some other guy who was initially blasted by many users for errors and bugs. This lastest one is working perfectly fine but always has a threat of being blocked by Google as they have done this already to the previous versions. I hope Google themselves come out with a software of their own which can be more reliable and has extra features.

All this can just be a begining of a new era where we can start having our data stored on the servers of remote hosts and can access it from anywhere. We may also expect personal computer systems without hard drives of their own! Bandwidth will be a major blocade for this to arrive.

Download this software (click here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home