Google

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Writely - The Web Word Processor

I had heard about the processor thing by Google. I did try to find out more on it but didn't really put any effort. But today when I was browsing though Google News I found out that Google has acquired the complete concept from Writely and they have already launched the service. When I visited the website I was sorry to find that I had to stand in a queue untill I get my hands on this new service from Google. All I could do was to leave my e-mail ID for them to invite me when my turn comes. I will wait for this.... eagerly!

Then I took the tour to find out more about its features and workings. It is basically a word processor but its uniqueness is its functionality on the internet. The files we create, upoad or work on, are all stored online i.e., of course on Google's server. I suppose this is going to be very convenient for people who use many computers and are required to carry their digital documents with them. As everything is online, the files are available on any system with an internet connection.

Even HTML editing is supported along with the blogging features. It supports documents from MS-Word, RTF, PDF and zip too. Another thing worth noticing is the sharing that can be done with other people on the internet. Currently a single document by a registered user can be shared with 50 people. It is, I wonder, similar to blogging as commenting is also featured. The user can also allow others to edit the documents and the control over sharing is comprehensive.

This is just the Beta version and the space provided to each user is limitless with the only restriction of a maximum of 500kb per file. An image in a file can be upto 2mb.

Obviously e-mailing is supported within the service itself and I guess it is directly conneted to Blogger. A lot of commitment has been given to its security and the name Google can itself be trusted.

Then finally... how can we forget our old friend, Microsoft? This guy Bill Gates has been monopolizing the markets and Google is really after it. He must surely be a little worried about the future of Microsoft. The pre-installation of Google softwares on new PCs from Dell with all the defaults in favor of Google too must be worring Mr. Gates. It won't be long before we find a complete operating system from Google on our PCs.

At present Writely is free of any cost except for corporate organisations. In the days to come some of its features like working with PDF files may be charged with a premium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home